Friday, July 30, 2010

Michelle Perkett BLOG HOP!

Below is the card I made from "Leilani" from the so-creative DT of Michelle Perkett Studio Design
for her blog hop. I painted watercolour paper for the sunset background, added handmade paper for the sand, and then makde a shaker for the sea.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

"Summer" digistamp

The second card for was made from their digistamp called "Summer". I decided to be a little ambitious and try making a 'swing card'. Well I got it right, but it took me nearly 3 hours to make this card from colouring the stamp to cutting out all the card pieces! The end result is quite pleasing and eventhough I'm not an 'orange/yellow' person (blues, pinks, and purples for me thanks!) I quite like the colour of this card. Luckily I had a whole packet of orange and yellow flowers on hand. I think my biggest concern while making the card was that the oval topper would keep floppnig down. I may have overcompensated for this as it is quite stiff to turn!

Front and back of the oval swing topper.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

NADIYA stamp

I am thrilled to be able to advertise the Digistamps4joy stamps, and this is the first card I made with the stamp "Nadiya". Isn't she absolutely gorgeous? Did I mention before that I love bling, well this stamp lends itself perfectly to looooots of bling!
I used my watercolour pencils to colour her in, then added lots of bling to her clothing and golden necklace. Two circles were cut with the largest 2 of the Nestabilities 'Petite Scalloped Circles', and the edge of the smaller circle was glued and glittered. I cut a floral border with a Fiskars punch, added some organza ribbon and pink gems, and stuck all of this onto a pink cardstock with hearts. The swirly flower on the left is a rub-on.

I think I'm still going to have lots of fun with "Nadiya".

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Window digi

Last night I designed another digistamp, this time trying the Inkscape software. It took me a little while to get comfortable with making rounded edges, but I'm happy with the result. So now to make a card with the stamp!

I decided to make an easel card, print out 2 x images, cut out the inside panes of the one and then layer this onto acetate. The second image was coloured in then I cut out the background behind the curtains, found a picture in a magazine with some paintings on the wall, then stuck this behind the curtains. The front window frame was raised onto the second image with foam pads. I think it came out quite nicely and really looks like a window!

Then I hit a blank! Every piece of cardstock or backing paper I put the window on top of just didn't look right, until I found this piece from the Once Upon A Time Mat Stack, and the whole card just fell into place. Does this sound familiar? I glued on a small clay vase, filled it with flowers, and found a 'large leaf' I had forgotten about which I used for the overhanging tree branch. The sentiment "Mom's home" was printed on the puter and raised with foam pads.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Using puff paint

I am lucky enough to have a sister who is a professional screenprinter, and who just 'happened' to give me a whole liter of white puff paint (very difficult to find in craft shops!) the last time I visited her! So .... as there is one little animal that God made that lends itself perfectly to white puff paint, of course I had to make a card. The 'ewe' also provided a super opportunity to play with the word - hehe.

I had a lovely piece of bright red card with a white backing that was just waiting to be cut into a heart shape. My little ewe (also compliments from my sister) was cut on the Cricut and I coloured the legs, squeezed out lots of puff paint from a fine nozzled bottle, puffed the paint with the hot air dryer, and then stuck on one googly eye and a red ribbon. Isn't she cute? The words ... 'Thinking of ewe" were printed on the pc, then a border of puff paint put on to resemble a cloud. Both the ewe and the cloud were raised with foam pads. The flowers were an afterthought as I had this large empty space top left of the heart, but they seem to have done the trick!

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Cracker shaped 'shaker' card

This card was made for a challenge viz. "make a card in the shape of a cracker and add serviette, clay, and mirror tile". Cutting the shape of the card was not as difficult as I thought it would be, and the shape is actually quite pleasing. It was the adding of the tiles and clay that stumped me at first. That is until I saw this absolutely gorgeous 'fat lady' decoupage paper and the creative juices just RAN! I probably went a little overboard with the 'shaker' oval, but I love making shaker cards and they are always so popular with my customers.

 So this is where I used all the challenge pieces:
1. Serviettes - I cut out 4 purple daisies out of a serviette and glued them onto the patterned maroon coloured paper.
2. Clay - the only clay embellishment I could find that suited this picture was a tiny peach coloured rose which I glued on top of the acetate of the shaker box.
3. Mirror tiles - In the image, the fat lady is looking into a mirror. Yes, you guessed it - I replaced the mirror part of the image with four tiny mirror tiles! Worked like a charm, and as they are all inside the shaker box no one handling this card will get hurt - a bonus in my opinion!

I could not resist the tiny gold shaker beads to compliment the gold colour around the purple daisies, and the gold spotted ribbon just finished it all off. A lot of work, but well worth it.

Friday, July 02, 2010

Freebies (topper and digistamp) - men's tie

For those of you who have not tried using a digistamp yet, here is a freebie for you to start with. I have also added a coloured stamp (= a topper) which you can also download (right click and save).

And don't forget I'd love to see what you've done with it! My card design is below.