Friday, December 31, 2010

Mele Kalikimaka card

The colour challenge on the CDAC site was to celebrate Christmas in Hawaii  by using the colours of pink, blue-green, and beige, and the free digi of the mermaid. Here is my version, and CDAC loved it so much they gave me an award for it! I created a blue-green backgound on the PC, printed and coloured the mermaid with COPICS and glitter, added puff paint for the waves, and drew a few trees, people and a fush. The rock was made from a piece of handmade paper, distressed with a dark brown chalk.

The wedding of 2010

I've been a little quiet here because I was heavily involved in getting my daughter's wedding 'perfect for her', so just could not find that extra time to make any card creations. Instead, I spent nearly 3 months (b4 and after work) sewing, sewing, sewing.

So the big day has now come and gone, and here are the results. All the table decorations (cloths, serviettes, runners, and favours) were handmade. The second photo shows the bride on her big day, and she looked gorgeous! The third photo is the wedding invitation cards that my daughter made (in one of her rare creative moods)! Stunning and very classy.

Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Purple Angel

I just could not resist the challenge of making this Angel in the online (and free) CDAC Angel Class! As I change the colour scheme of my Christmas decorations each year, this year I chose purple and silver, based on a gorgeous piece of purple tinsel I found in the local shop. And this littel Angel is going on top of the tree this year!
So here's how she was made. First you need to join the CDAC Paper Angel Class and download the free pattern pieces. I printed out the sheet, then cut out all the pieces to use as a template. The image on the front of the Angel's dress is from Digistamps4Joy and is called 'flower border'. I pasted this image into MSWord, copied it and flipped the second image horizontally, and then moved them closer together so the 2 leaves almost touch. Remember if using an image on the angel dress, to slightly tilt the images to fit the dress curve. Once this was printed onto cardstock, I used the dress template piece to trace the pattern around the images, and then cut out the cardstock. The images were coloured exclusively with glitter pens. Once coloured, I punched out single 'stars' on the border of the dress and sleeves (my thumb was sore afterwards!), and cut the edges of the dress and sleeves with pattern scissors. Both the dress and sleeves were pasted onto some lovely purple foil and I made sure the edge of the foil was visible at the bottom of the dress, so I could cut this with the pattern scissors as well. I covered all the pieces with a clear glitter Stickles, and added gems to the hem of the dress. The wings were cut out of purple foil, with white feathers and purple gems glued onto them. The halo is a piece of glittery cord I found in my stash.